Saturday, November 8, 2008

Big Scare

Emma was weighed, cleaned off, had some mommy and daddy bonding time and then whisked off to the nursery to get her first bath. Trav followed Emma to the nursery and my mom came in to our room to keep me company. I had started feeling like I was going to pass out. My mom got very concerned b/c I was getting very pale and she went out to get the nurse. When the nurse came in she took my blood pressure and it was 54/32---not real good. Long story short...turns out that I had a postpartum hemorrhage and had to be taken into the operating room for a D and C to scrape/clean out my uterus so that the bleeding would stop. It had all happened sooo fast and was so surreal b/c the labor and delivery had gone by without a hitch and now everything had taken a turn for the worse. After the procedure I felt much better and my color had returned and blood pressure had improved. I was given medicine to make sure the bleeding was under control and to make my uterus contract and firm up to prevent any more bleeding. I was moved to a postpartum room at 1o:45pm and was watched closely through the night. I got to hold Emma for only the 2nd time at 2am for her first feeding from me. I was weak and sore, but that moment was precious and I was thankful that things had turned out ok. The nursing staff was great, took care of us and made sure that I was getting better. We were discharged a little after 12pm on Friday---Emma's original due date. Going home was a much needed break from the drama and the interruptions that occurred over the last couple of days and nights.




Ready to go home.

I was keeping the room temp at about 60 degrees (hormones?). Travis thought it was too cold. What you do not see is the gloves and blue jeans.
Proud papa!

I was very happy to see my little girl after I got back to the room.

After surgery: I had the shakes and was not able to hold Emma. Lela was happy to step in and cuddle her for me :)

0 comments: